Wednesday, May 15, 2013

What Bugs a Bridezilla

Last night I sent my mom a text.  It read, This is turning into another Bridezilla week.  Her reply: Oh Lord.  It is only Tuesday.  It will be ok, don't let stupid people get to you. Some days, weeks, and months, are better than others, I suppose.  October through December was bridezilla-filled, and I think I'm getting that way again.  I think I'm doing a great job at masking it, but it's poor Joe and my mom who have to hear about it via phone call or through 100 text messages.  There are certain parts that I'm freaking out over and I don't know why.  Joe's infamous reply is usually, "What is it exactly that you are stressing over?" or "So?  Who cares!"  That's the part where I start screaming back, "I care!  Why am I the only one who cares?  Why aren't you listening to me!"  That is typical bridezilla-gone-nuts, or in my case, a Tuesday.



There is one month, three weeks, and one day to go, to be exact.  I am ready (for the most part), but my new-found stress is I am not confident that everyone else is.  Maybe I should just remind my vendors for a fourth time. Maybe I need to invite people verbally before the invitations go out.  Maybe people think they have plenty of time to figure it out.  I'm here to tell you that it is coming sooner than you think so if you have issues, concerns, questions, speak now, or put on your big boy/girl pants and figure it out.

We had the DJ finalization on Saturday (but I'm sure I will finalize my finalization at least two more times).  Like all of my vendors, he is completely awesome and showers me with compliments to help lower the crazy.  After I furnished him with a copy of the play list, detailed with song, artist, what hour-block to play each song in, and how long each song is, he said, "with your personality, I can't fathom anything will go wrong, because I could see you actually killing a person."  Joe started laughing hysterically, and I replied with, "thank you."  In my head, I was quickly revisiting my other conversations with my vendors and hoped that I struck the fear of God into them as well.  I'm really not worried (that much) about the vendors because of two things: I remind them every chance I get what day/time it is, and I made sure to get the owner/manager of each to come to the event instead of a regular employee.  To me, everyone needs to start somewhere, but unfortunately, I'm not taking a chance on my wedding; I need a professional, thank you.

The DJ asked me what I thought a perfect wedding was.  My reply was simple, "I want all of my guests to have a wonderful time."  He felt that was unusual.  "Don't you want to have a good time?" He asked.  "I will if they will, but I don't want anyone to be bored, or hot, or hungry, or mad.  I want them all to have a nice time."  So hopefully, my guests will have just that: a genuinely, nice time.

I think that everyone can take away one positive and one negative aspect of every wedding and reception that he/she has attended.  It's all about the couple's personality, and of course, budget, but my gosh, are some people tacky!  And then there's others that you didn't expect to be classy, and they were!  Listed below are things I personally dislike, but it's your wedding, your business, and only you (and the social media world) will have the photos of the glorious/hideous event that will remind you forever!

Things that bug this Bridezilla:
  • When save-the-dates are nicer than the actual invitation.
  • Invitations being sent out closer to the event than four weeks.
  • Engagement photos that show too much PDA.
  • Engagement photos that are just tacky (bad colors, poor positions, outfit choice, etc.).
  • Long lines that include bridesmaids and groomsmen (what do you say to them)?
  • Long lines because people are yapping (I promise not to).
  • Skimpy/tacky food (the couple shouldn't make people drive AND get dressed up for a stupid fruit kabob).
  • Several toasts made throughout the evening.
  • Crazy DJ's constantly plugging their business.
  • Pictures of the bride and groom EVERYWHERE.
  • Baby pictures/video of the bride and groom growing up.  Do your guests really care about what you looked like in the 3rd grade?
  • When guests bring all of their kids and plan on using your event for their all-you-can-eat dinner buffet.
  • If you're going to have cupcakes, have a regular cake as well.  This tells me it's a reception, not a birthday party.
  • When guests and/or bridal party take off their shoes and walk/dance around.
  • Guests who have something important going on in their lives and somehow the attention gets shifted on them instead.
  • Vases that have fake pebbles, rocks, or glass beads in them as the table decorations.
  • Hypertext (quotes, names, any type of text everywhere).
  • When guests try and tell your vendors what to do.
  • Too many DIY projects gone wrong.  If I can simmer myself down and realize that I can't do everything...you can as well.  Just because you took a good picture in junior high does NOT make you a photographer...just because you made cupcakes for a birthday party does NOT make you a cake designer.
  • Thank You Notes.  I can count the amount of thank you notes I've received on one hand.  Rest assured, you will receive one because it's the right thing to do.
After all is said and done, there will be things at my own wedding that I wish I could have done better.   But feel free to tell me it was wonderful just the same.




No comments:

Post a Comment