In March, I was approached by two of my best friends to have a faculty bridal shower. I immediately said yes, but then I was overwhelmed with the unknown. What would happen? Who would be there? What do I say? What do I wear? I thought about this bridal shower for two solid months.
The day finally came, and I wore a dress....a dress! I wanted to show how important this day was to me and how nice I thought it was for everyone to spend time after work doing this. Wearing a dress was the only way I knew how. During 8th period, I started getting the jitters. My students even asked me why I was so nervous. "I have somewhere important to be after school," I said, "and I need to make a good impression." They didn't get it, but who could blame them? I didn't either.
When I walked downstairs, I couldn't believe my eyes. Decorations, food, gifts, and most importantly, the people who have made my eight years some of the best years in my life. Some people I knew would come, but some I was truly shocked at. I didn't think ALL of the secretaries would be there. Some even came on their day off or stayed late when they work part-time. I couldn't believe that all of these people were there for me!
After the bridal shower, I drove to my mom's house to show her all of the nice things I received and to tell her about it. I started crying just speaking to her about it, and just like a mom, she did too. I finally managed the words to express what I was feeling, "they did all of this for me because they are part of what has made me into the person I am today. They've watched me grow up."
Since I've dedicated a previous post to my "school moms," I would like to dedicate this post to all of my fabulous friends at Viewmont who have made my life better just by being in it. Here are just a few:
Whipplelott: Shannon and I grew up together as teachers. We were advisors together and taught the same subjects. She started as a newlywed and since has had two children. We ate lunch together every day for six years! She is the person who I have confided in the most about...everything. She is one of three people who I feel comfortable crying in front of, and she always manages to make me feel better even if she says nothing at all. Although she has a different job now, every time I see her it is like she has never left. My life is enriched because she is part of it, and I know no matter where our paths may lead us, we will always keep in touch.
Weshizzle: Weston and I started together as first year teachers, and we've had this bond ever since. He is so silly and funny, and I enable it by laughing! For only teaching together for three years, we have managed to stay in contact and see each other several times a year. Weston has quite a fan base and is frequently on the news and in the newspaper, but when I see him, he is just Weston to me. He was the first person who came to see my house, and I proudly/ socially awkwardly went to his son's baby shower. Weston is my smart, famous, ridiculous, scarf-wearing, coffee drinking at the movies, avenues "hipster" friend, and my role model.
Shannon: Shannon is the third side to our first-year triangle. She started the same time as Weston and I, so all three of us ate lunch together. Shannon speaks her mind, and I think with her example, she has given me strength. In the eight years I've known her, she has had two of the best behaved boys I've ever had the pleasure of watching grow. Shannon is strong, but her best feature is her loyalty. I know no matter what, Shannon always has my back, and in return, I will always have hers.
Melissa: Melissa was first friends with Whipplelott, so that's how I met her, and I am so glad I did! Melissa is passionate, kind, and tough! She single-handedly made and hung up all of the bridal shower decorations. No big deal, right? It is when you are seven months pregnant! I have a different relationship with Melissa than I do Whipplelott and Shannon. I look at Melissa as being my little sister. I naturally just want to take care of her and watch out for her (even though she doesn't really need it). I strive to be a better person so Melissa has someone to look up to.
Kristin: Kristin is the first person who I met at Viewmont, and truly one of the best. When I told my mom about my interview, I said, "one day, I want to be just like her." Kristin is such a great leader. She is smart, caring, and does more for the school than even she realizes. I love having my classroom next to hers and seeing her every day. She doesn't expect anything from anyone that she doesn't expect first from herself. I think a lot of us strive to be just like her because she is such a master teacher (plus, I never want to disappoint her). She is still a person that I hope to be like someday, but I am also proud to call her my friend, and one of my best friends at that.
J. Fletch: I have only known Jo for about three years, and our friendship is just nonsense! Whether we are at Costco, she's eating spaghetti on my living room floor, or we are just sitting in her office, when we are together, it is pure chaos. What two women hide in the floor of my car after school? I could go on and on about the crazy things we've done together, but maybe some of them are illegal?!? She makes me laugh so hard I cry, and half the time, we don't even know what we are talking about. She has a contagious personality that lots of people flock to. This year, she was named Counselor of the Year, and no one deserves it more than her. She loves her students as if they were her own, and while she pours out confidence, she cares a lot about what people think of her. Just so she knows, people think you're great!
Lisa: Everyone gets to have a crazy friend in their life, and I am so glad that mine is Lisa! Lisa moved to Viewmont the same year as I started, and our classrooms were right next to each other. Since then, she has moved far away, but I look forward to seeing her at least once a week and hearing her stories. Her family has adopted me as if I was one of their own, and now Joe looks to her husband, Michael, as one of his best friends. Lisa has the biggest heart and is one of the kindest people I know. She always has words of wisdom that I take to heart. Yesterday she taught me, "at the end of the day, all you have is your reputation, and that is the most important of all."
Jizzle: Like so many others, I grew up with Jamie as she was my fellow advisor. Some people have just work friends, some people just play friends. To me, Jamie was both. We had just a good of time at a football game as we would a Snoop Dogg concert. She was my Jizzle and I was her Fred. When she left for other opportunities, she came to my classroom to say goodbye, and as soon as I opened the door, we just stood there crying and laughing and crying and laughing. No one loves her friends more than Jamie, and no one loves Viewmont more than Jamie. I hope to possess that same passion.
Judy: Judy and I are seemingly opposite in some ways, and creepily alike in others. We are both perfectionists, we like to plan, we love rap, and our favorite baseball team of all-time is the Mariners! When I have a random comment that has nothing to do with nothing, I text him, and he does the same. I guess you could say, we appreciate nonsense! I think out of all my friends, I probably give Judy the most crap, but when someone else tries, I flip out. Maybe in some ways, Judy is the little brother that I didn't know I wanted to have.
Breckon: Breckon and I have a bond that keeps us connected forever: SBO. Other's think they know what it's about, but truly, they have no idea. Where I was organized, she was creative. Either way, SBO flourished because we loved the kids. Sadly, she is not returning next year, but I hope to see her beyond the brick and mortar.
It Takes a Village to Raise a Fred!
Thank You!









Oh man! That is soooo sweet Kristin. It was a honor to be invited to your special day and I greatly look forward to the big day. You made teaching for me and I think part of my fear of returning to teaching somewhere and somehow is that if I don't end up at Viewmont, you won't be there and then it just won't be the same or as good. Some day we are destined to teach together again... You just wait! Congratulations my friend!
ReplyDelete