Tuesday, December 17, 2013

But it's Christmas...


I begin thinking of Christmas in the summer.  I carefully plan my decorations, my Christmas card, the gifts I give to people usually no later than the week after Halloween.  I don't get annoyed when stores start putting up Christmas decorations early--I am the one immersed in the aisles looking at all of the endless possibilities of turning my house into a Christmas masterpiece.  I love Christmas.

Besides the decorations (which I live for), I love Christmas candy, cookies, treats, gift baskets filled with things you didn't know you knew existed or wanted.  I like the smell of Christmas.  I proudly listen to Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving and have a wide assortment of Christmas CD's.  I truly love everything about Christmas.

I also love(d) the general feeling in the air.  It's Christmas--go see the lights in the freezing cold.  Stay up late watching Elf, or Serendipity, or Home Alone  Take time to experiment with your favorite apple cidar recipe.  Enjoy your family, reconnect with friends.  Have patience.  And most importantly, be kind.

This season began like most.  I was super excited to decorate, to wander around stores aimlessly looking at Christmas decorations, to blast Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You."  And then things changed.

People around me were so darn negative.  Drivers seemed more aggressive.  Cashiers didn't ask me if I found everything I needed ok.  Shoppers would shove and leave their children unattended so poor employees had to leave their post and watch them.  My connection with family and friends was limited at best (other than work friends).  Few people around me wanted to do anything Christmas or holiday related. 

But I kept moving.  I planned and executed a Christmas party singlehandedly, sent out a ridiculous number of Christmas cards, searched high and low for just the perfect gifts, and continued to blast Mariah Carey during her better, wild hair/high voice years. 

But then the actions of others got me down as well.  Joe has been pretty sick this season with a variety of things that I don't want to get into.  I would watch him drive through the mess of selfish drivers shaking in pain, attend doctors appointments at 8 p.m. in West Jordan so he wouldn't miss work, and be left with still many unanswered questions.  There were so many instances when I wanted to shake the random person standing next to me and yell, "BUT IT'S CHRISTMAS!" 

But it's Christmas, shouldn't we be respectful, nice, patient, caring, and selfless?  But it's Christmas, shouldn't we help those in need silently without receiving attention?  But it's Christmas, shouldn't we try to reconnect with those we may have lost contact with?  But it's Christmas, can we focus on the time with others rather than the gifts we receive?  But it's Christmas, can we set aside our drama and focus on what really matters?

After a week of putting the holiday I carry so near to my heart on hold, I got in my car on Thursday and just started driving to release my frustration.  But it's Christmas, I'm not going to let another moment pass without celebrating the season I love most!  Joe called and asked where I was because it was after 8 p.m.  Of course, I ended up in the holiday aisle of Shopko, just looking at all the wonderful things that to me, Christmas possesses.  It's amazing how much better I felt looking at silly little ornaments and hearing Bing Crosby on the loudspeaker. 

That silly little instance is how I took Christmas back.  I light my trees as soon as I get home from work and I don't turn them off until bedtime.  I blast Christmas music in my car.  I go to random stores nearly every day just to look at decorations.  I make Joe drive me around neighborhoods to look at lights.  I watch every childhood Christmas movie I can in a month's time.  I eat more nonsense than my teeth and stomach can bear and still have room for more.

Christmas is the same time every year; don't waste another moment. On December 26, the magic simply disappears. I refuse to spend my season immersed in the poor attitudes of others, the "what if's," or my own self pity.  Christmas is as magical as we make it out to be, and I intend on being great competition to David Copperfield.





From my heart to yours, I wish you a healthy, joyous holiday season filled with memories to last a lifetime.  From the lips of Joe, "don't let anyone ruin your nice time."

No comments:

Post a Comment