When Kate Middleton stepped out of her fancy white car the day she married Prince William, many of us watched just to see what she was wearing, and to our delight, she looked stunning. Then, as Pippa carried Kate’s train in the church, I thought her dress was beautiful as well. I knew that when the time came for me, these two women would be my inspiration for both my ring and my dress.
![]() |
| Stunning. |
I walked in with the picture, style number, and my credit card. I told my mom the goal was two hours or less. I knew what I wanted, and I had no desire to try on every dress in the store and make a spectacle of it. I don’t think she or the sales lady believed me, but I was walking out with that dress that for many months was just a picture I carried around.
After I gave her the picture of “my dress,” the lady asked if I would like to try on others that were similar. I agreed. Why not? I had two hours to kill. I amused everyone by trying on three other dresses. “Not it,” I stated. “This isn’t it either.” I waited for mine until last. As soon as I put my dress on, both my mom and the sales lady agreed that this was the one. “You may be the easiest bride I’ve ever worked with,” she said. I should have told her to call the caterer because he would have a completely different opinion.
So, after an hour and a half, I had my dress, and I was eating tacos. Many brides on the shows that I watch like “Say Yes to the Dress,” “I Found the Gown,” “Brides of Beverly Hills,” and “Something Borrowed,” make a day of the whole thing. They drink champagne and have everyone and their brother attend the fitting. Not me. Dress. Tacos. Nap. Done.
I think that I mastered a normally stressful event by watching my crazy shows, that Joe cleverly calls “This Dress is a Mess.” Who knew that my obsessive, reality television would actually be educational? Listed below are tips that I learned:
- Find a style that best fits your body type. This is similar to jeans. Sometimes a dress you like won’t look great on your body.
- It’s all about the undergarments. Who knew? Depending on the slip that you pick, your dress shape can be transformed.
- Stay within your budget. Don’t even ask for dresses that are more money because you will just leave heartbroken. Also take into consideration alterations and accessories. Are they part of your dress budget or separate?
- Go to the store with a plan. Bridal stylists are there to help you, not look into a crystal ball.
- Remember your timeframe. Last minute weddings = sample dresses off the rack. If that is appalling to you, like it was to me, set your wedding day 9-12 months away. I bought my dress in December for instance, and my first fitting isn’t until April 30. I won’t have it completely sized until June.
- The most interesting piece of advice: You only need to try on four dresses to know what you want. Several people try on tons and tons, but generally speaking they go back to one of the first four or one with a similar style from this first group. If you don’t believe this advice, think about me. It was the fourth dress I tried on.
So there you have it. If you want to be a Bridezilla, pick something else to freak out over. The dress shouldn’t be a hot mess.
P.S. HAPPY 2ND ANNIVERSARY WILLIAM AND KATE :D

No comments:
Post a Comment