Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Marriage and...Bill Cosby

My mother is the wisest person I know.  She is not college educated; she has never left the country (she doesn't even drive on the freeway, but now is not the time to discuss).  But instead of telling you what she isn't, I'd rather tell you what a great mother she is, and how I truly feel she is the best mother on the planet.  See, you don't need a college degree or a two year stint in Paris to speak truth, sincerity, and love.  Being a parent is hard; I see it everyday.  And being a parent to an inquisitive child is even harder.  She never missed a beat, however.  And for that, I thank her for her little gems, her little discussions she probably had to have with me way too early, her little pieces of truth which will stay with me forever.

I'm not sure how old I was, but I asked my mom who could marry.  She said a boy and a girl, in which I got clever, and started asking if I could marry my uncles or cousins.  I then asked her if it was possible that two boys or two girls could get married, in which she said no.  "But why?" I asked, "if you love someone, you get married, right?"  She agreed.  She told me that no matter what, I must always respect others and who they love, "whether it be two boys, two girls or one of each."  But most importantly, I must remember that we are the way we are because God made us this way.  "It isn't a choice," she said.

So I guess my question is, why then are we choosing the destinies of others?  I think known conservative, Elisabeth Hasselbeck, said it best, "the only thing that is killing heterosexual marriage is heterosexual marriage."  So maybe, just maybe before you cringe at two men wanting to exchange vows after they have been in a ten year committed relationship, you take a look at the Brittney Spears, the Kim Kardashians, the Elizabeth Taylors and what they've done for heterosexual marriage.  If their piss-poor marriages and the public mockery that they made out of it didn't ruin your own marriage, then two men exchanging vows won't either.

And for the record, I also asked my mom why all of the Presidents were white and old.  "I think you will be alive to see a black President," she said.  "Bill Cosby would be good," I responded.



I bet you expected me to say somewhere in this post that my mom is a lesbian.  She isn't.  But if she was, she is still the best mother on the planet. 

1 comment: